Monday, November 28, 2011

Double Time for Ruiz

Double Time for Ruiz
by Leo R Vasquez

In the discussions about great doubles racquetball players is it too difficult to be included with some of the greatest female doubles players of all time? Casual racquetball fans view doubles as filler between singles matches, as the equivalent of the rodeo clown diverting your attention before the bronc rider is set loose. But perhaps the problem is that they don’t know what they’re watching. You need to understand the game, where to play, where to place the ball. It’s a different strategy than in singles. That lack of comprehension even reaches into the players’ ranks. Sometimes you can have a player who is great in singles, unbelievably good, who doesn’t really understand the game of doubles.

We can debate on a number of great female double players - from Malia Bailey to Michelle Gould, from Kim Russell-Waselenchuk to Jackie Paraiso and now Aimee Ruiz. The easiest way to define a racquetball player as a great one is using the number of national doubles titles, especially IRF World and Pan American championships. And then throw in a USAR National Singles Championship along the way.
FINDING  A PARTNER
Aimee RuizRuiz was recently asked about how she has had so much success as a doubles player and how her game-style fits with her partners. “I think I have great partners. It’s a team in doubles, there is no I, so I can’t say it’s just me,”” said Ruiz. “I’ve always been fortunate to play with some of the very best doubles players, that there game styles help compliment my game. I definitely like to be the shooter on the court and am not afraid to try and roll it out from anywhere. You will not see me have a long ceiling ball rally that's for sure. I’m also a lefty, which I think is a plus because there aren’t very many lefty/rights teams out there.”
Most of her recent titles in the women’s doubles have come with world and national doubles champion Jackie Paraiso, who in her own right is also a world class singles player. “I had qualified to play the Pan American Championships in 2006 with my partner at the time Laura Fenton. Laura was unable to go due to injury. Jackie and I ended up winning the gold, and we kept in touch after that, and in 2007 we decided to play together,” said Ruiz about her new partnership with Paraiso.
The resume for Ruiz is quite impressive, she has won two IRF World Doubles Championships, (’06 with Laura Fenton and ’08 with Jackie Paraiso) and three Pan American Doubles Championships, (’06 with Fenton and ’07 and ’09 with Paraiso). She has also won the last seven consecutive US National Team Qualifying Women’s Doubles Championships, (‘05, ‘06 with Fenton and ‘07-‘11 with Paraiso) and seven US National Mixed Doubles Championships (’02, ’04-’06 with Jason Thoerner, ’03 with Shane Vanderson, ’08 with Mike Dennison, and ’10 with Andy Hawthorne).
WINNING THE NATIONAL SINGLES
Aimee RuizRuiz also plays singles at selected WPRO events as well as the US OPEN Racquetball Championships and National Singles Championships. Surely you caught every moment when she won the 2009 US National Singles title by defeating Cheryl Gudinas in the finals in Houston. “When I went in to Houston that year there was no pressure on me. I hadn’t even played Houston in about five or six years prior to that,” said Ruiz. ‘I don’t play the pro tour full-time, in fact I only played two Tier 1 events last season, so I don’t get to play the ladies of the WPRO in singles very often. I’m used to playing strictly guys in my area. I always know whenever I step on the court, if I’m playing well, and I’m “calm” I can win singles matches against the top women.” 
Winning the nationals singles didn’t come easy for Ruiz and is something she will cherish forever. She was one of the last seeds in the draw and went on to beat #2 seeded Kristen Bellows, #3 Rhonda Rajsich and #1 Cheryl Gudinas along the way. “All of my east coast racquetball friends were there rooting for me at every single match and to win that with them and my husband there was really special,” Ruiz would say.
Doubles competition can also help players with their singles game as Ruiz has proved by winning her National Singles title. “I think my reaction is better in singles and that is from my doubles experience,” said Ruiz. “Doubles is such a fast paced game, you really need to be on your toes and ready for the ball at all times.”
At least in comparison to the most exciting racquetball of the year—which could be Kane Waselenchuck’s winning streak of 130 matches without a loss; world class doubles play by Ruiz makes it more fun to watch and engaging. It’s the best-kept secret in racquetball and provides the same excitement and thrills as in singles, except with four players hitting amazing angles with accurate precision.
RACQUETBALL CAREER
Ruiz works for Ektelon Racquetball as their Promotions Manager/Product Development Coordinator. She also is the Pro Player Director and manages all of the Ektelon professionals including Team Adrenalin. At National Events she helps with the marketing exposure for Ektelon and supports the pro players in the events. She also enjoys coaching younger players, and coordinates Team Ektelon meetings during events. Ruiz also manages Ektelon social media outlets, Team Ektelon Newsflashes, coordinates the website, press releases and maintains budgets.


No comments:

Post a Comment